Prepare time: 20 min Cook: 2 hr 30 min Ready in: 2 hr 50 min
- 2.6 lbs red tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin oil
- Salt as needed
- 8 basil leaves
- Wash the tomatoes very well and leaving them to dry.
- Cut each tomato into two halves and remove the green part, also known as the pith.
- Squeeze the two halves of the tomato in a bowl or in a sink, to get rid of all the seeds.
- Once you’ve repeated this process with all the tomato halves, put them in a steel pot, and cook the tomatoes on a stove’s hotplate, on low heat, turning them occasionally with a spoon, until dry and disintegrated.
- Now pass the tomatoes through a food mill. Once all tomatoes have been passed, transfer the resulting sauce in a smaller steel pot while you will again put on the hotplate.
- Add salt and oil to the sauce, and let it simmer over high heat, until you get the desired thickness.
- Then turn off the heat and add the whole basil leaves to the sauce or coarsely chopped by hand.